Saturday 23rd October 1999
Gloucs · St Nicholas (6) 7cwt
Gloucs · St Lawrence (6) 13cwt
Oxon · St Peter (6) 9cwt
01.00pm The Talbot Arms
Oxon · St James (6) 12cwt
Oxon · St Giles (6) 11cwt
Richard Day, Hugh Deam, Roy Goodwin, Sally Harrison, Anthony Hughes and Roy Jones.
St Clements, Plain Bob Minor, St Simon’s, St Martin’s and Grandsire.
Hatherop · St Nicholas
Hatherop See Sunday 16th September 2012 for full details. Lechlade Although sited on the course of the River Thames, the settlement was documented in the Domesday Book as Lecelade (river crossing near the River Leach). St John’s Lock is the first and highest lock on the river. A Victorian statue that depicts Old Father Thames is to be found at the side of the lock. Originally carved for the Crystal Palace, in the wake of the devastating fire there, the statue was rescued from the ruins and moved to the source of the river, but vandalism resulted in it having to be moved to Lechlade. The parish church overlooks the market square at the heart of the town, and was completed in 1476 on the site of earlier churches, the first of which was Saxon. Mainly in the Perpendicular style the present church was built under the patronage of Cecily, Duchess of York, with monies freed up from the dissolution of Lechlade Priory. Regarded as one of the finest churches in the Cotswolds, the spire was added early in the 16th century. The poet Shelley was inspired to write his famous stanzas “In a Country Churchyard”. Fragments of medieval stained-glass can be found in the window above the south door. A series of roof-bosses in the chancel bear a carving of a pomegranate, the symbol of Katherine of Aragon, who held Lechlade Manor from 1501 to 1535.
The bells are in keeping with the rest of this lovely church in that they are a veritable treat to ring. The oldest bell, the fourth, is by Joseph Carter of Reading, 1599. The back two bells were cast by Ellis Knight, also Reading. Tenor, 1635 and fifth, 1626. The second, 1742, Abel Rudhall, Gloucester. Third from 1802, by James Wells, Aldbourne. Treble by John Warner, London, 1911. Alvescot The village is widely thought to take its name from St Allege of Elphege, also known as Elphegus the Bald. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) the settlement was documented as Elfegescote, the addition of cote stemming from the Anglo-Saxon description for a cottage. The village was long known for the manufacture of high quality furniture. The church here originally served as a chapel of the mother church in Bampton. Only a doorway and the font remain from the original Norman building, which was dedicated to St Nicholas until early in the 13th century.
Lechlade · St Lawrence
Alvescot · St Peter
The architecture is a mix of Early English and Perpendicular styles. The church was originally a cruciform design without a tower, this being built in 1498 after local landowner John Bonde left 100 sheep in his will to fund its construction. In the south transept is the window of the “Sower and Reaper” by Burne-Jones, installed in1910, but designed some years previously, as he died in 1898. The tower is in three stages, with external buttressing and a south-west stair projection. The bells are rung from the ground floor Four of the six bells date to the 18th century (2. 5. 6) all 1721, by Abraham II Rudhall of Gloucester, and the fourth by Robert & James Wells of Aldbourne. Third, 1859, by George Mears of Whitechapel. The treble was added in 1985 by Whitechapel. Aston The village derives its name from an easterly farmstead, with a documentation in 1086 as Estone. Situated just north of Bampton, it is sometimes known as Aston Bampton, clearly differentiating it from numerous other Aston’s. The village is possibly best known in recent years for the working pottery here, which not only makes hand-stencilled tableware, but also offers a tour of the works and a café. The parish church was built in 1839, under the supervision of Thomas Greenshields of Oxford, but it underwent a swift succession of restorations during the latter half of the 19th century.
Aston · St James
The style is Regency Gothic, with a west tower and spire. Even though it is not well regarded by architectural experts, the clean and simple tower does reflect the light superbly. As an added bonus the church is fronted by a selection of trees that provide a spectacular array of colour, from the spring through to the autumn. The bells are rung from the ground floor and are an undoubted challenge to your handling. All six bells are from 1883, cast by Taylor’s of Loughborough. Standlake The Anglo-Saxons named the village in recognition of it being on a hill close to a stream, being noted as Stanlache in 1155. Today Standlake is surrounded by eight lakes of varying sizes, with the village encompassing the hamlets of Brittendon and Brighthampton. Evidence has been uncovered of early Iron Age farmsteads, Roman habitation, and also the outline of Saxon dwellings. During the Civil War, the moated Gaunt House was garrisoned for Charles I, but eventually fell to the Parliamentarians in 1645, and was used for stabling cavalry and housing infantry for raids on Kidlington and Radcot. In the wake of the war, Christ Church in Oxford was bequeathed the house in order to provide an income to pay for bursaries. The parish church was originally cruciform in layout, but was remodelled in the 13th century, and is constructed of coursed limestone and rubble. A restoration (1880 – 91) was overseen by Oxford architect Clapton Crabb Rolfe. The slender octagonal tower was added at the west end of the nave in the 14th century, with the spire being restored in 1911. The tower’s three oldest bells were cast in 1709 (second and third) and 1710 (fifth) by Henry III Bagley of Chacombe.
Standlake · St Giles
Charnwood Forest, Leicestershire
Saturday 10th July 1999
Leics · Taylor's Bell Foundry (10) 6cwt
Leics · St Paul (6) 10cwt
Leics · St Peter (6) 9cwt
Misterton with Walcote
Leics · St Leonard (6) 7cwt
Leics · All Saints (6) 8cwt
Richard Day, Hugh Deam, Roy Goodwin, Barry Hall, Sally Harrison, Roy Jones, Susan King, Peter Lloyd,
Nesta Long, Brian Lowe, Carol Lowe, Paul Lucas, Paul Morley and Serge Zvegintov.
Nesta Long, Brian Lowe, Carol Lowe, Paul Lucas, Paul Morley and Serge Zvegintov.
Cambridge, Stedman, Plain Bob and Grandsire.
Loughborough The Domesday Book refers to the settlement as Lucteburne, describing "a fortified house belonging to Luhhede". The River Soar runs through the east of the town, and navigation north to the Trent was achieved in 1778 by the Loughborough Navigation, this forming part of the Grand Union Canal. The town was the destination for the first package tour organised by Thomas Cook for a temperance group from Leicester. After the success of this excursion in 1841 he chartered a train carrying nearly 500 passengers a distance of twelve miles and back for one shilling. It was not for another four years that he conducted his first trip for profit, a railway journey to Liverpool from Leicester, Nottingham and Derby. The University of Loughborough is widely recognised for its sports scholarships. Amongst the famous past graduates are, Lord Sebastian Coe, Sir Clive Woodward, Dame Tanni-Grey Thompson, Paula Radcliffe and Steve Backley. The Carillon War Memorial that stands in Queen's Park is 152ft high, having been completed in 1923. It was the first grand carillon in England, the concept being associated with Belgium. The carillon, designed by Sir Walter Tapper and built by William Moss, has 47 bells, all of which were cast at the local foundry.
Recitals are held on Thursday and Sunday during the summer. The town holds one of the largest street fairs in England every November. The Loughborough Canal Festival, first held in 1997, is an annual event in May centred around Chain Bridge. Woodhouse Eaves The village is built on the slopes of Windmill Hill, which itself lies in the shadow of 818ft Beacon Hill to the north. Sited just to the east of Charnwood Forest, this was originally an Iron Age settlement. Around 1220 it was known as Wodehuses (houses near a wood), the affix describing virtually the same thing. The parish church and a group of houses are separated from the village centre, the church being a granite structure of 1836/37, designed by William Railton, who also designed Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square. The west tower also serves as the entrance to the church. All six bells were cast by Taylor's of Loughborough in 1904.
Woodhouse Eaves · St Paul
Copt Oak As the name suggests, the village is closely associated with Charnwood Forest, taking its name from the pollard oak which is thought to have survived here for over 2000 years up until 1855. A corner of the churchyard marks the spot where the tree once stood. Widely regarded as the "King of the Forest", the oak tree has given sterling service down the ages, many being felled to build English "Men-O-War" which sailed the high seas ensuring maritime supremacy during turbulent times. The parish church was designed by William Railton, and is very similar to his design of St Paul's church in Woodhouse Eaves, although the towers are very different, as are the extensions and additions. Just two days separated the consecration of the churches, September 3rd 1837 at Copt Oak and September 5th 1837 at Woodhouse Eaves. All six bells were cast by Taylor's of Loughborough in 1889.
Copt Oak · St Peter
Misterton with Walcote In 1086 the settlement here was documented as Minstretone (an estate with a church belonging to a monastery). The village is sometimes confused with the larger village of the same name in Nottinghamshire, hence the conjunction of Walcote here. The village is situated just to the east of the M1, but happily retains a rural atmosphere, with the River Swift running through the fringe. The impressive Memorial Hall in Brook Street has been diligently renovated in recent years. The elegant 14th century parish church, with its demure west tower and broach spire, is situated at the heart of the village, although the area that directly adjoins it is comprised of a small copse, a bridleway, and open field. The oldest of the six bells here is the tenor, 1607, by Robert III, Thomas III & William Newcombe of Leicester. The fifth is of 1620 by Hugh II Watts, also of Leicester. The third is from 1675 by Henry I Bagley of Chacombe. The other three bells date to 1946, by Taylor's of Loughborough.
Misterton · St Leonard
Shawell The village, with a brook running through its centre, manages to retain a quiet dignity despite being bordered by the M1 and M6. It is situated just to the east of what was the Roman town of Tripontium (a place of three bridges), with numerous bricks and tiles of this era having been unearthed. The settlement here in 1086 was noted as Sawelle (a boundary spring or stream). In recent decades a number of lagoons have been created in the area, enticing a variety of wildlife not previously seen locally. Earthworks remain of a motte-and-bailey castle that was founded during the reign of King Stephen. Shawell Castle was part of a series of defensive baileys that are known to have existed in the county. Either side of Shawell stood Lilbourne Castle and Gilmorton Castle. The parish church, rebuilt in 1866, is situated close to these earthworks on a track that leads from the main street. The oldest bell dates to around 1480, cast by itinerant London bell-founder John Danyell. The fourth is of 1560 by Thomas II Newcombe from the Leicester foundry. The third was cast in 1632 by Hugh II Watts, also in Leicester. Second bell, 1656, by Bryan II Eldridge of Chertsey. The tenor, 1770, Joseph Eayre of St Neots, and the treble added in 1990 at Whitechapel.
Shawell · All Saints
Saturday 17th April 1999
Herts · St John the Evangelist (6) 3cwt
Herts · St Thomas a Becket (6) 12cwt
12.05pm South Mymms
Herts · St Giles (6) 11cwt
01.00pm The Old Guinea
Herts · St Margaret (6) 11cwt
Herts · Christ Church (6) 3cwt
Herts · St Paul (6) 8cwt
David Badger, Joan Badger, Richard Day, Hugh Deam, Sally Harrison, Kerry Harwood, Anthony Hughes, Tamsin Hughes, Roy Jones, Peter Lloyd, Nesta Long, Brian Lowe, Leonora Richardson, Jim Richardson, Mary Richardson, Dinah Wainwright, Dot Waring and Neville Whittell.
Plain Bob Minor, Stedman, St Simon's, St Martin's and Grandsire.
Lemsford · St John
Lemsford The village is situated on the River Lea, and was created out of Hatfield parish during 1858. The stately home of Brocket Park Hall has a notable, if morbid, place in the political annals of Britain, as it was where two Prime Ministers passed away, namely Lord Melbourne and Lord Palmerston. During World War II the house served as a maternity hospital. The estate is the seat of the 3rd Baron Brocket, known to television viewers as Charlie Brocket after he made a huge impact on the third series of I'm a Celebrity... in 2004. He had initially gained notoriety in 1996 when his playboy lifestyle led to his being jailed for insurance fraud. The landscaped grounds incorporate the river flowing over a series of small waterfalls. The Victorian parish church designed by David Brandon, is located directly across the road from the grand entrance to the Brocket Estate, being erected as a memorial to George Augustus, 6th Earl of Cowper, who died before he could realise his intention to build a church at Lemsford the benefit of his tenants. The Brocket Chapel was built in memory of Florence Nall-Cain, who died in 1927. To the left of the chapel door is her stone effigy lying on a canopied marble tomb, with heraldic cats at her feet. The tower is complete with perforated quatrefoil parapet and corner-mounted dragon gargoyles. The third, fifth and tenor were cast in 1873 by John Warner & Sons, London. The front two bells and the fourth were cast in 1977 at Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
Northaw Described as North Haga during the 11th century, the name refers to a northern enclosure. This photogenic village grew around the source of the River Colne, and is now very close to the northern fringe of busy Potters Bar. According to local legend, a wise hermit named Sigar lived in Northaw and was buried in St Alban's Abbey, close to King Henry I. There are several fineGeorgian buildings in the village, including the Old Vicarage and Dower House. Also here, between Northaw and Cuffley, is the "Great Wood", which was designated as a country park in 1968. There is an abundance of oak, birch, hornbeam, sycamore, ash and sweet-chestnut. It was in the skies over Northaw during the First World War that Lt William Leefe Robinson of the Royal Flying Corps won a VC for shooting down a German Zeppelin SL11 that was on its way to bomb London. This feat in the dark of 2am on 3rd September 1916, was the first occasion where a British airman had succeeded in downing an enemy airship. The parish church, with its tall and slender tower, dates from 1881/82. For over a century it was heated by means of a high pressure hot water heating system that was considered to be a masterpiece of Victorian engineering.
Northaw · St Thomas
opening in 1986. Much of the complex had to be rebuilt after a major fire started by a deep fat fryer in 1998, and there was no fire suppression system in place. In 2003 its public conveniences won the National Loo of the Year award. The parish church is in the west of the parish, and has a chancel with north vestry and chapel, nave with north aisle and south porch, and west tower. Except for the north aisle and chapel, which are partly of brick, the walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings. Repairs and renovations were carried out in a piecemeal fashion during Victorian times. The original set of four bells were replaced by a new peal of six in 1812, by Whitechapel foundry. Two of the bells were recast in 1893 and the bells re-hung. The front two bells were added in 1971, also by Whitechapel. Ridge Long part of the Manor of Tyttenhanger, the village sits at 400ft above sea level and
The Old Guinea · Ridge
derives its name from Littleridge Wood to the north, being documented as Le Rigge (the ridge) in 1248. The River Colne flows across the heath to the north and the St Catherine Bourne Brook crosses the centre of the village. There are numerous timber-framed houses and one of the most famous pubs in the county, The Old Guinea. Across the road is the 14th century parish church with a three-stage tower, originally of the 15th century, but much modernized, with a modern embattled parapet, and the angle buttresses restored. The ringing chamber is very nearly a mirror-image of the one at South Mymms. Prior to 1998 the tower contained a ring of three bells. The tenor dates to 1613, cast at Whitechapel by William Carter. The fourth, 1685, by William & Philip Wightman of London, and fifth by Lester & Pack, also of Whitechapel.The treble and three were cast at Whitechapel in 1998, and a redundant bell, cast by John Warner in 1889, was located by the Keltek Trust, now serving as the second bell here.
Ridge · St Margaret
Radlett Documented as Radelett (junction of roads) in 1453, the town developed notably only in the 20th century as it became a dormitory settlement for London. It is located on the course of Watling Street and set amidst undulating countryside, in a valley known as "Tykes Water" that runs from Aldenham reservoir to the River Colne. On 8 December 1865, the ecclesiastical parish of Radlett was created, thus marking the start of its modern history. The railway station was built here, connecting Radlett with London around this time. Handley Page Ltd opened a grass airfield and aerodrome nearby in 1929, and this was upgraded by 1939 to have three hard runways for use in production of Hampden and Halifax bombers. The company went bankrupt in 1969 and the airfield closed, but the disused airfield still had its most famous moment to come, when in 1977 the motorcycle stunt rider Eddie Kidd successfully jumped over 14 London double-decker buses. The 1948 Olympic Marathon passed through Radlett as part of its out and back course from the Empire Stadium, Wembley. The elegant parish church is situated on the edge of the town and has a slender tower and spire, the churchyard being sited across the road. All six bells, cast at Whitechapel, were installed in 1964 to mark the centenary of the church. An exceptionally light set, they are rung from the ground floor and require deft handling on the front two.
Radlett · Christ Church
Langleybury (Hunton Bridge) The village is not marked on many large-scale road maps, and thus is not easy to locate. Deriving its name from the Anglo-Saxon description for a long woodland clearing, Langley is a common place-name in the county. Whist the others garnered their affixes from church or king, Langelege attached "bury" (a place by a fort) during the Middle Ages. The church is situated on the perimeter of a small copse within the triangle of land created by the M25 and A41. Most of the money for its construction was provided by John Loyd of Langleybury House, who also paid for the school opposite. Monuments to him and his wife, Caroline, are to be found inside the church. This flint and stone building was designed by H. Woodyer in 1865, with the greater part of the fittings also his work. The interior is very ornamental, with the delicate carvings of musical angels around the arches being the work of Thomas Earp. The nave, chancel, south chapel and west tower are all from this period. One of the most notable female explorers of the 20th century, Violet Cressy-Marcks is buried in the churchyard here. Elected to the Royal Geographical Society in 1922, she mounted numerous explorations (Arctic Circle, Amazon to Andes, India to Moscow, and eight times around the world) and was also a war reporter in China and at the Nuremberg Trials. The ring of six bells all date to 1864, cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry by George Mears.
Langleybury · St Paul