A record of outings 2019
by Hugh Deam
Monday 29th July 2019
to the Warwickshire border by Colin Taylor
10:15 Hook Norton
St Peter (8) 20-2-13 in E · Oxon OX15 5NH
St Michael (8) 12-3-23 in G · Warks CV36 5PG
13.00 Wyatts Garden Centre
Great Rollright · Oxon OX7 5SH
St George (6) 29-0-19 in C · Warks OX15 5HU
St Nicholas (6) 11-0-15 in G · Oxon OX15 5TD
Left to Right: Hugh Deam, Susan King, Michael Haynes, Judy Kirby, Jane Hedges, Simon King, Colin Taylor, Paul Lucas & (not pictured) John Hearn.
Grandsire Triples, Buxton Minor, Little Bob Minor & Stedman Doubles.
Lower Brailes is on the easterly side of the parish, which also includes Upper Brailes, Winderton and the deserted medieval hamlet known as Chelmscote. The River Stour forms the southern boundary and county boundary with Oxfordshire. The spelling of Brailes (burial place) remains unaltered since its inclusion in the Domesday Book. The church is constructed of coursed ironstone and has 12th century foundations, with the south aisle (1280) being the earliest part of the present building. Saturday 19th September 2009; Whichford Saturday 11th March 2006; Tadmarton Sunday 21st August 2011. Hugh Deam
Saturday 25th May 2019
by Michael Haynes
10:15 Hook Norton
St Peter (8) 20-2-13 in E · Oxon OX15 5NH
11:15 South Newington
St Peter ad Vincula (5) 8-0-7 in F# · Oxon OX15 4JG
St James (8) 11-3-23 in F · Oxon OX25 6NB
15:00 Great Tew
St Michael & AA (8) 22-0-10 in D · Oxon OX7 4AG
Left to Right: David Parks, Hugh Deam, Jane Hedges, Sue Ross, Donna Bennett, Judy Kirby, Benjamin Poole, Susan King, Simon King, Michael Haynes & Paul Lucas.
Grandsire Triples, Plain Bob Triples & Stedman Doubles.
South Newington is quite a remote village, situated on the River Swere, having been documented in the Domesday Book (1086) as Niwetone (new farmstead). Evidence of a Romano-British settlement has been uncovered on the southern edge of the parish, a tract of land known as Iron Down. Even today buildings constructed of local limestone are still in the majority here. After the Dissolution, the Crown sold most of the land here to Magdalen College in Oxford. The dedication of the church is one of only 14 in England to St Peter ad Vincula ("St Peter in chains"). Saturday 19th September 2009. Also, a previous trip to Somerton was made on Saturday 18th May 2013. Hugh Deam
Saturday 6th April 2019
outing by John Hearn
St Michael (6) 11-0-24 in F# · Glos GL54 4BG
10:30 Compton Abdale
St Oswald (6) 6-3-4 in Ab · Glos GL54 4DS
St Andrew (6) 10-1-16 in G · Glos GL54 4AD
12:30 The Green Dragon
Coberley · Glos GL53 9NW
St Bartholomew (6) 10-0-3 in Ab · Glos GL53 9PJ
All Saints (5) 6cwt in Bb · Glos GL7 5PR
St John Bapt (12) 27-1-16 in C# · Glos GL7 2PE
Left to Right: Adrian Nash, Mary Carroll, Paul Smith, Graham Cane, Harry Cane, Hilda Shipp, Benjamin Poole, Alan Barsby, Debbie McLaren, Susan King, John McLaren, Paul Washington, Hugh Deam, Darren Washington, Vicky Palmer, Donna Bennett, John Hearn, Phillip Roberts, Simon King, David Endacott, Shan Nash & Brian Shacklady.
Plain Bob Royal, Grandsire Caters, London Minor, Norwich Minor, Cambridge Minor & Double Oxford.
Withington and Chedworth See the previous outing on Saturday 10th May 2003. Compton Abdale See Saturday 30th September 2007 for further details. Winstone (Wynna’s boundary stone) is situated just north-west of Cirencester and close to the Roman road of Ermin Street.
Saturday 30th March 2019
by Harry & Graham Cane
10:30 Welford on Avon
St Peter (8) 9-3-1 in G# · Warks CV37 8EN
11:40 Preston on Stour
St Mary (3) 8cwt in Bb · Warks CV37 8NQ
St Mary (8) 12-3-26 in E · Warks CV36 4LB
13:00 The Red Lion
Front St · Ilmington · Warks CV36 4LX
14:30 Lower Quinton
St Swithin (6) 13-0-27 in F# · Warks CV37 8SG
15:40 Great Wolford
St Michael & AA (6) 11-3-7 in F# · Warks CV36 5NQ
16:25 Long Compton
St Peter & St Paul (6) 12-0-22 in F · Warks CV36 5JJ
From left: Jane Hedges, Andrew Usborne, Peter Payne, Marilyn Payne, Graham Cane, Hugh Deam, Barry Wateridge with Darcy, Simon King, Judy Kirby, Harry Cane, Elizabeth Mullett, Paul Lucas, Steve Millington, Alan Bainbridge & Susan King.
Cambridge Major, Stedman Triples & Grandsire Triples.
Welford on Avon (ford by the springs) was documented as Welheford in 1177, situated as it is within a loop of the River Avon. During the 11th century the estate was granted to Deerhurst Priory by the Earl of Gloucester. It is renowned for its superabundance of elegant 17th century thatched cottages, images of which are widely featured on generic calendars and postcards of England. The parish church dates to around 1330, built on the site of its 12th century predecessor. The back six bells are all from 1960, cast by Taylor’s of Loughborough, with the front two added by them in 1980. Saturday 11th March 2006 for details. Long Compton See Saturday 2nd April 2016 for further details. Hugh Deam
Quarter Peal Day in
Saturday 16th March 2019
Arranged by Hugh Deam
All Saints (6) 15-0-21 in E · Bucks LU7 0BX
11:30 Drayton Parslow
Holy Trinity (6) 9-1-1 in Bb · Bucks MK17 0JF
12:45 The Betsey Wynne
21 Mursley Rd · Swanbourne · Bucks MK17 0SH
St Swithun (6) 12-1-24 in F · Bucks MK17 0SR
St Mary (6) 14-2-21 in G · Bucks MK17 0LZ
Left to Right: Harry Cane, Michael Haynes, Benjamin Poole, Hugh Deam, Paul Lucas, Graham Cane, Judy Kirby, Michael Probert & Colin Taylor.
Quarter Peals: None · 1260 Single Oxford & Plain Bob Minor · Plain Bob Minor · Grandsire Doubles
Soulbury was noted as Soleberie (a stronghold by a gully) in the Domesday Book and today the parish encompasses no fewer than seven hamlets. The 17th century mansion of Liscombe Park was originally the seat of the Lovett family. Colonel John Lovett was patron of the Eddystone Lighthouse off the Cornish coast, this being the world’s first open ocean lighthouse. The church here was largely rebuilt between the 14th and 16th century, the tower dating to the 15th century. The fourth and fifth bells (1450) survive from this time, cast in Wokingham. Tenor, 1592, Bartholomew Atton, Buckingham. Second by the Chandler family, Drayton Parslow, 1613. Treble, 1661, Henry II Knight, Reading. Third, 1936, Mears & Stainbank. Ringing on a more regular basis had resumed relatively recently and unfortunately an already cracked stay fell out prior to our starting the quarter attempt. Saturday 19th March 2011 for details. Hugh Deam
Outing to Wiltshire
Saturday 2nd March 2019
Organised by David Parks
St Michael (6) 12-1-24 in F · Wilts SN14 6JA
11:30 Folly Row Café
Kington St Michael · Wilts SN14 6JB
13:30 Langley Burrell
St Peter (6) 10cwt in G · Wilts SN15 5LY
14:30 Great Somerford
St Peter & St Paul (6) 8-0-5 in G · Wilts SN15 5JB
Left to Right: Alison Merryweather-Clarke, Benjamin Poole, Donna Bennett, Paul Lucas, Simon King, Susan King, David Parks, Judy Kirby, Hugh Deam & Colin Taylor.
Cambridge, Buxton, St Clements, Plain Bob Minor, Stedman, St Osmund & All Saints.
Kington St Michael was first documented in AD 934, with its original affix being Minchin, denoting the priory here at that time. A rededication to St Michael took place in 1279. The village stands on a limestone outcrop and its central layout clearly gives evidence to its sheep market heritage. The church is primarily 13th century in its construction, standing on high ground overlooking what would have been the market square. The tower dates to the 18th century, with all of the bells cast by Abraham II Rudhall of Gloucester, 1726, and hung counter-clockwise. Saturday 27th April 2013 for details. Great Somerford is situated on the southern bank of the River Avon, between the limestone belt of the Cotswolds to the north and the chalklands of the Marlborough Downs to the south. The parish also includes the hamlets of Startley and Seagry Heath.