The first section of this page shows City Branch towers which hold a ringing practice on a regular basis. Other towers can be found in the second section. Given are the number of bells and the weight and musical note of the tenor (heaviest bell), as found in Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers. Look out for the MP3 audio clips, which allow you to hear most of the practising towers ring. You can get a map, showing the tower's location, by clicking on the Ordnance Survey (Landranger grid) reference number after its name. If you would like to join the ringing, then please contact the Tower Correspondent using the details given on the contacts page. More details, such as the methods most often rung, can be found on the ringing page. The descriptions of the churches were written by Hugh Deam and most of the photographs are by Paul Lucas. All of the smaller tower pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Bell Details
The majority of these details come from Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers and from Frederick Sharpe (1953) The Church Bells of Oxfordshire J Smart & Co Brackley. Weights given as cwt-qr-lb are exact measurements to the nearest pound. Those given as cwt only are approximations calculated from the bell's dimensions and its strike note. In the manner of Sharpe, a slash ( / ) in the inscription indicates a new line in the text or a change to a new side of the bell. Details missing from the former sources were supplied by the relevant steeple keepers themselves. Spelling errors in the inscriptions are taken literally from Sharpe, except for those errors in his text which are not explicitly marked as sic by him. For example, at St Giles excelsis is here used instead of Sharpe's exelsis on the 3rd, and conscendat instead of consendat on the 6th. In general, such details have not been confirmed by the steeple keepers themselves. A translation from Latin to English is given by pointing the mouse to the Latin phrase in question. Other notes on the inscriptions may also be obtained in this way. Although details of the bells can be found on Dove's Guide, here you can find their inscriptions and other information that is not shown there.
In addition to the MP3 recordings of the bells ringing, on this page are uncompressed WAV recordings of the individual bells themselves. From these were measured the hum, prime and nominal frequencies in Hertz (cycles per second) using Bill Hibbert's Wavanal. Wavanal was also used to calculate the given note names using a twelve-tone equal tempered scale (12-TET) with A at 440Hz. As is conventional with church bell notation, C1 is middle C (C4 on the piano) and B0 is the note immediately below it. The +/- figure after the note gives the measured number of cents above or below that value (100 cents = 1 semi-tone). Because bells are unlikely to have been tuned to an equally tempered scale, deviation from the exact note does not necessarily indicate the bell is out of tune. It does, however, tell us whether these partials (hum, prime and nominal) are in tune relative to each other, since each should be exactly one octave apart. Note I have neglected to mention other partials, such as the tierce (minor third [three semitones] above the prime), quint (perfect fifth [seven semitones] above the prime), superquint (an octave above the quint) and octave nominal.
The WAV recordings mentioned above may be used within Abel to reproduce the sound of the given tower. After downloading the ZIP file, open it and view the Readme file within. Please note that these downloads may take some time to complete if your Internet connection is slow.


Section 1 Practising Towers
 
Saint Aldates Oxford OX1 1BP
6 bells 11-1-12 cwt-qr-lb 577 kg in G

St James Cowley, Oxford OX4 3LF
6 bells GF 5-3-3 cwt-qr-lb 293 kg in C

St Mary Garsington, Oxon OX44 9DJ
6 bells 8-1-6 cwt-qr-lb 422 kg in G

St Giles Oxford OX2 6HT
8 bells 14-0-1 cwt-qr-lb 712 kg in F♯

St Andrew Headington, Oxford OX3 9DL
8 bells 7-3-0 cwt-qr-lb 394 kg in A

St Lawrence Nth Hinksey, Oxford OX2 0LZ
6 bells 5-2-27 cwt-qr-lb 292 kg in B

St Giles Horspath, Oxon OX33 1SE
6 bells GF 5-2-9 cwt-qr-lb 283 kg in B♭

St Mary the Virgin Iffley, Oxford OX4 4EJ
6 bells 10 cwt 508 kg in A♭

SMV Kidlington, Oxon OX5 2AZ
8 bells 21-2-27 cwt-qr-lb 1104 kg in D

St Nicholas Old Marston, Oxford OX3 0PR
6 bells 5-0-19 cwt-qr-lb 263 kg in C

St John Stanton, Oxon OX33 1DN
5 bells 9¼ cwt 470 kg in G♯

St Mary Wheatley, Oxon OX33 1LZ
6 bells 9-3-10 cwt-qr-lb 500 kg in A♭

St Peter Wolvercote, Oxford OX2 8BW
6 bells GF 8-0-2 cwt-qr-lb 407 kg in B♭
Section 2 Other Towers
 
ABVM Beckley, Oxon OX3 9UT
5 bells 11-1-13 cwt-qr-lb 577 kg in F♯

St Clement St Clements, Oxford OX4 1BG
Originally a chime of three

All Saints Cuddesdon, Oxon OX44 9HD
6 bells 14-2-16 cwt-qr-lb 744 kg in F

St Ebbe Oxford OX1 1QF
8 bells 4-3-19 cwt-qr-lb 250 kg in B♭

St Nicolas Forest Hill, Oxon OX33 1EB
A chime of three

St Bartholomew Holton, Oxon OX33 1PR
3 bells 8 cwt 406 kg

St Barnabas Jericho, Oxford OX2 6BH
10 tubular bells plus one hung for ringing

St Peter Marsh Baldon, Oxon OX44 9LS
5 bells GF 7½ cwt 381 kg in A

St Michael Northgate, Oxford OX1 3EY
6 bells 12 cwt 610 kg in F♯

St Andrew Sandford, Oxon OX4 4YR
3 bells 3¾ cwt 191 kg

All Saints Wytham, Oxon OX2 8QA
A chime of 10 bells

 
 

 
 

1 long cwt [hundredweight] = 4 qr [quarter] = 112 lb [pound] = 8 stone = 50.80 kg
1 long ton [imperial] = 20 cwt = 1016 kg    1 tonne [metric] = 1000 kg = 19.68 cwt
Section 1 · Practising Towers
St Aldates · City Centre

City Centre


St Aldates SP513060
40 Pembroke Street
Oxford OX1 1BP


6 bells 11-1-12 cwt-qr-lb in G

Monday Practice

Correspondent

Stedman Doubles
Ringing down
Hear each bell strike

St Aldates · Oxford City The historic street of St Aldate’s leads south from the epicentre that is Carfax. It boasts a rich variety of architecture in the Town Hall, the C16th facade of Christ Church and Christopher Wren’s inspirational Tom Tower, with St Aldates’ Church directly across the road. The majority of the building is the work of JT Christopher, who heavily restored the church in 1862, and then again in 1873. This embroiderment subsumed most of the original Norman work. It still retains its C14th crypt, below the east end of the south aisle, that was the work of John de Dockington. The church has long been noted for its revivalist outlook to worship that has ensured larger congregations than many similar centralised churches. The bells here are an engaging six with a tenor which, when working, requires fine-spun handling. A ringing simulator has now been added, allowing practices to take place every Monday.

Saint Aldates · City Centre · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
First known quarter peal to be rung on these bells
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
13-3-026.25E
F1-28 343.5Hz
E♭2+02 623Hz
E3+20 1334Hz
1873Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1874.
25-0-528.38D
E1-37 322.5Hz
D2-32 576.5Hz
D3+12 1183.5Hz
1654Michael DarbieMICHAEL DARBIE MADE MEE 1654
35-3-1230.38C
D1-33 288Hz
C2+41 536Hz
C3+17 1057Hz
1654Michael DarbieMICHAEL DARBIE MADE MEE 1654
46-3-1632.75B
C1+05 262.5Hz
B♭1+43 478Hz
B2+15 996.5Hz
1627Ellis Knight IPRAYES YE THE LORD 1627
58-3-1235.88A
B♭0+43 239Hz
A1-29 432.5Hz
A2+16 888.5Hz
1620Henry Knight IHENRX NXGHT MADE MEE X620
611-1-1240.13G
F♯0+41 189.5Hz
G1+15 395.5Hz
G2+19 793Hz
1847William Taylor+ REVD. CHARLES WARNER, B.A., CURATE. REVD. WILLIAM HAWKINS, M.A., RECTOR. WILLIAM BAXTER AND WILLIAM RINGROSE CHURCHWARDENS. 1847. WM. TAYLOR, OXFORD, FECIT.
[Scroll border]
Saunce
unhung
1-0-716.251780Thomas RudhallT RUDHALL

[Bell] 1780

[Bell]
St James the Apostle · Cowley

Cowley


St James the Apostle SP540039
Beauchamp Lane, Cowley
Oxford OX4 3LF


6 bells GF 5-3-3 cwt-qr-lb in C

Thursday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing
Hear each bell strike

St James · Cowley · Oxford The first documentation of a settlement here was in 1004, when the area was known as Couelea “Cofa’s clearing”, and later Covelie in the Domesday Book. The church was once in the possession of Osney Abbey (1149), and is situated between Church Hill Road and the narrow Beauchamp Lane. The lane still evokes memories of the old Cowley village, despite being adjacent to the incongruous Templars Square multi-storey car park at the bottom end. The capacious tree-lined churchyard on the eastern side of the church exudes an air that belies just how built up an area there is surrounding it. The somewhat stunted appearance of the tower is a consequence of the heightening of the nave roof that formed part of the restoration by GE Street from 1862. This was more of a rebuilding in all truth, leaving few Norman parts remaining. The bells are a light ground-floor six, with the front three sallies set quite close together.

Saint James · Cowley · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
12-3-20A
A♭1+44 426Hz
A♭2+49 854.5Hz
A3-46 1713.5Hz
1949Mears & Stainbank+ REMEMBER 1939-1945. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE. [Obverse and reverse of a half-crown]
19 49

MEARS & STAINBANK.
23-0-21G
G1-42 382.5Hz
G2-35 768Hz
G3-33 1538Hz
1949Mears & StainbankDANIEL WHITE. WALTER DAY. CHURCH = WARDENS

E : HEMINS FECIT. J738



19 49

RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK.
33-2-22F
F1-48 339.5Hz
F2-37 683.5Hz
F3-42 1363Hz
1949Mears & StainbankDANIEL WHITE. WALTAR DAY. CHURCH = WARDENS

EDWARD HEMINS

FECIT. J738




RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK 1949.
44-1-12E
E1-43321.5Hz
E♭2+40 637Hz
E♭3+42 1275.5Hz
1949Mears & Stainbank BENEDICTA SIT
SANCTA TRINITAS



Ed : HEMINS :
FECIT SEPTEMBER 3. J739



19 49

RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK.
55-0-2D
D1-33 288Hz
D2-48 571Hz
D3-31 1153.5Hz
1949Mears & Stainbank1693


RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK. 1949.
65-3-332.00C
C1-44 255Hz
C2-39 511.5Hz
C3-35 1025.5Hz
1949Mears & StainbankWILL TERRELL 1694
C.W. IAMES WHIT


RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK. 1949.
Saunce
unhung
13.751691Richard KeeneNot Known
St Mary · Garsington

Garsington


St Mary SP580020
Southend, Garsington
Oxfordshire OX44 9DJ


6 bells GF 8-1-6 cwt-qr-lb in G

Monday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing
Hear each bell strike

St Mary’s · Garsington · Oxfordshire is circa 1200, with a transitional period tower, and is located on high ground that affords views for some ten miles out over Wittenham Clumps. Its exposed situation does mean that it can get very windy. The picturesque manor house here is where Cromwell and Fairfax met to plot the siege of Oxford. More recently, the manor was the venue of the famous Garsington Opera, during the summers of 1989 until 2010. The main body of the church was subject to restoration in 1849, giving it a 14th century style. It is approached through an old lych-gate. Before the restoration of June 2013, this ground-floor ring of six was both heavy going and odd struck, and so it was recommended for those who demand a challenge. The exterior of the tower was repaired in 2007, since it has endured the brunt of the elements over the years. Note there is very limited parking outside. Nearby, the Three Horseshoes is a cosy country pub, with a function room added at the rear. It makes for a good lunchtime stopover for larger groups of visiting ringers.

Saint Mary · Garsington · Oxfordshire
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
12-3-824.50E
F1-36 342.0Hz
E♭2-28 612.0Hz
E♭3+49 1280.5Hz
1696Richard Keene1696
23-3-727.94D
D1-42 286.5Hz
D2-48 571.0Hz
D3-48 1142.5Hz
1720Abraham Rudhall IIPEACE & GOOD NEIGHBOVRHOOD A [Bell] R 1720
34-3-430.06C
D♭1-42 270.5Hz
C2-47 509.0Hz
C3-42 1021.0Hz
1733Henry Bagley IIIEDMVND HARPER HENRY MOLLENEVX CHVRCH WARDENS H B MADE ME J733
45-0-1131.56B
C1-47 254.5Hz
B♭1-26 459.0Hz
B♭2+44 956.5Hz
1929Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.

CAST 1732. RECAST 1929.
56-1-2435.00A
A0-47 214.0Hz
A♭1+48 427.0Hz
A2-48 855.5Hz
1825W & J TaylorRECAST BY SUBSCRIPTION : 1825. RICHD. HARPER & THOS. POULTON CHURCH WARDENS. W : & J. TAYLOR FEC-T OXON.
68-1-637.75G
G0-31 192.5Hz
G1-33 384.5Hz
G2-48 762.5Hz
1788John RudhallINO. MACKINESS & WM. PIKE CHURCH WARDENS 1788 I : RUDHALL FECIT [Border]
These bells were restored in June 2013
St Giles · City Centre

City Centre


St Giles SP511070
10 Woodstock Road
Oxford OX2 6HT


8 bells 14-0-1 cwt-qr-lb in F

Thursday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing
2012  ·  2007

Hear each bell strike
2012  ·  2010

St Giles · Oxford City This primarily Norman church is situated at the northern end of St Giles and it marks the convergence of the Banbury and Woodstock Roads. The church is first mentioned in 1138, with the lower part of the tower dating from before 1200. The 13th century saw the completion of the tower and the addition of the nave arcades. At that time, the parish encompassed an area from the River Cherwell in the east, to Jericho in the west and Summertown to the north. The south chapel was rebuilt between 1850 and 1852 using the original materials in the main. The large and well maintained churchyard enjoys a splendid view along what is the widest main street in the country. The eponymous St Giles Fair takes place on the first Monday and Tuesday after St Giles Day on the 1st of September. Traditionally, a quarter peal is rung on the Sunday evening before the start of the fair. The sound of the bells is immortalised by New Bats In Old Belfries (1945), a collection of poems by Sir John Betjeman. Before the Anaesthetic, or A Real Fright describes a stay at the nearby Radcliffe Infirmary: "Intolerably sad, profound St Giles's bells are ringing round, They bring the slanting summer rain To tap the chestnut boughs again." Eight syllables per line (as iambic tetrameters) match the number of bells here precisely. They were retuned and rehung in 2011.

Saint Giles · City Centre · Oxford
A ring of eight holding a weekly practice
The original bells
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
14-1-426.50F
G1-24 386.5Hz
F♯2-31 726.5Hz
F♯3-31 1453.5Hz
1927Mears & StainbankM & S. LONDON

[Six coins]
Venite Exultemus Domino.
D.D. Henricus Wylie Hughes. 1927.
24-1-1627.13E
F♯1-35 362.5Hz
E2+01 660Hz
F3-42 1363Hz
1927Mears & Stainbank[Six coins] MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.

Te Deum Laudemus. 1927.
35-0-2129.44D
E1-32 323.5Hz
D♭2+20 561Hz
E♭3-16 1232.5Hz
1850William TaylorGloria in excelsis [Two coins] + [Two coins]
45-1-1130.81C
D1-45 286Hz
D♭2-45 540Hz
D♭3-40 1083Hz
1850William TaylorBenedictus qui venit in nomine Domine [Two coins] + [Two coins]
56-2-633.06B
C1-37 256Hz
B♭1+03 467Hz
B2-33 969Hz
1850William TaylorMagnificat anima mea Dominum ait Maria [Two coins] [Crossed sword and key] [Two coins]
68-0-1535.19A
B0-49 240Hz
B♭1-47 453.5Hz
B♭2-46 907.5Hz
1850William TaylorSonitus Ogidii conscendat culmina Coeli [Two coins] + [Two coins]
78-3-638.06G
A♭0+39 212.5Hz
G1+39 401Hz
A♭2-36 813.5Hz
1850William TaylorSum Rosa pulsata mundi Katerrina vocata [Two coins] + [Two coins]
814-0-142.56F
F♯0-37 181Hz
F♯1-37 362Hz
F♯2-36 724.5Hz
1632Ellis Knight IFEARE GOD HONAR THE KXNG X632
Retuned and rehung in 2011. The inscriptions were checked by me at that time. The musical notes were measured after retuning (the tuning page gives their former values).
The original bells
St Andrew · Headington

Headington


St Andrew SP544076
33 St Andrew's Road, Headington
Oxford OX3 9DL


8 bells 7-3-0 cwt-qr-lb in A

Wednesday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing

St Andrew · Headington · Oxford belongs to an ancient parish some 2 miles north of the centre of Oxford. It straddles the escarpment of the Oxford Heights, a ridge of hills that stretches from Faringdon to Brill. The Corallian limestone and sandstone resulted in Headington becoming synonymous with quarrying. King Ethelred the Unready (c.968 - 1016) is thought to have been christened here. The first documentary reference to the church here was in a charter of Henry I from 1122, granting the chapel at Headington to the Canons of St Frideswide’s. The tower and south aisle are 14th century, with a chancel from a century later, and the nave is 19th century, as is the north aisle extension and vestry. The church sits at the heart of Old Headington, and its eight bells are ideal for very fluent ringing.

Saint Andrew · Headington · Oxford
A ring of eight holding a weekly practice
Photo by Paul Lucas December 2007
Treble
1974 Whitechapel
Replaced in 2000
Fourth
Michael Darbie 1654
 
Second
1974 Whitechapel
Replaced in 2000
Third
John Briant 1792
 
Fifth
John Briant 1792
Tenor
William Yare 1613
Sixth
Roger Purdue I 1624
Seventh
Brede mark c1470
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
13-2-123.75A2000Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd


WHITES OF APPLETON
 CHURCH BELLHANGERS 

AD 2000
WHITECHAPEL
RECAST IN MEMORY OF
J.E.C. & O.E.C.
VICAR W.M.B.


23-3-924.50G♯2000Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd


WHITES OF APPLETON
 CHURCH BELLHANGERS 

AD 2000
WHITECHAPEL
RECAST IN MEMORY OF
G.A.M. & C.E.M.M.


33-2-2226.06F♯1792John Briant


 JOHN BRIANT HERTFORD FECIT 1792 

44-2-1627.13E1654Michael Darbie



 M D 1654 


54-0-027.63D1792John Briant


 JOHN BRIANT HERTFORD FECIT 1792 

65-3-430.31C♯1624Roger Purdue I
[ Border ]


THOMAS WHORWOOD E SPVIRE 
LORD OF HED DING TONN

ANNO DOMINI 1624
[Crest of the Prince of Wales]
R [Bell] P
[Crest of Thomas Whorwood]



77-0-833.56Bc1470London
Brede mark
Generally attributed to John Danyell's unknown successor







87-3-036.19A1613William Yare



 EDWARD FFISHE OWEN GVRDEN 1613 

W Y






Photo by Paul Lucas December 2007
St Lawrence · North Hinksey

North Hinksey


St Lawrence SP495055
North Hinksey Lane, North Hinksey
Oxford OX2 0LZ


6 bells 5-2-27 cwt-qr-lb in B

Friday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing

The Hinksey villages were a rural haunt of Matthew Arnold’s Scholar Gypsy, and despite being not much more than a mile from the centre of Oxford, they were actually in the county of Berkshire. Much of the area is now suburbanised or penned in by the Oxford Ring Road, with the church of St Laurence · North Hinksey · Oxford being accessible directly from the southbound A34. At the time of the local government boundary reorganisation in 1972, with Hinksey moving from Berkshire to Oxfordshire, the four bells in the church were augmented to a six. A plaque, made from a section of the old frame, now hangs within the ringing-room. The first peal on the bells did not take place until 1981. The church, set on high ground, is basically Norman, with an Early English tower that had to be partly rebuilt after suffering damage during the English Civil War.

Saint Lawrence · North Hinksey · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
12-2-623G♯1972Whitechapel Bell Foundry LtdThe gift of Winifred Toynbee 1972
23-0-1625F♯1972Whitechapel Bell Foundry LtdJohn W Larter B C Vicar K G Goff H Lockwood Curchwardens 1972
33-1-1925E1972Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd1676 Recast 1972
43-2-2127D♯1972Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd1661 Christopher Hodson made me Recast 1972
54-0-2528C♯1675Richard KeeneR K
65-2-2731.00B1907John Taylor
& Co
William Yare made me 1614 Recast 1907 [Crest of John Taylor and Co Loughborough]
The tenor's rope can jump from the wheel if not handled correctly
St Giles · Horspath

Horspath


St Giles SP571049
Church Road, Horspath
Oxfordshire OX33 1SE


6 bells GF 5-2-9 cwt-qr-lb in B

Tuesday Practice Correspondent

Grandsire Doubles
Simulated Ringing
Hear each bell strike

St Giles · Horspath · Oxfordshire The village lies below the viewpoint of Shotover Hill and retains many groups of attractive cottages. Horspath is one of the very few villages around Oxford still to have a feast every September, where its centre is transformed on the Monday night by quite a few of the fairground attractions still in the area after St Giles Fair in Oxford. The 13th century church was drastically altered during the 19th century, with the chancel being rebuilt and north transept added. The church contains medieval stained glass and, amongst a number of notable details, a handsome Jacobean pulpit. The tower is 15th century, and the bells are an extremely smooth flowing ring of six, with long ropes for exceptionally short ringers.

Saint Giles · Horspath · Oxfordshire
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
13-0-1G
A♭1-05 414Hz
F2+44 716.5Hz
G3+35 1600.5Hz
1866Mears & Stainbank+ DEUM : LAUDO : DIGNIS : PLAUDO. / GIVEN BY THE / REV. H. R. BRAMLEY, M.A. CURATE. / 1866. / MEARS AND STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.
23½ cwtF
F♯1+25 375.5Hz
E♭2+26 632Hz
F3+37 1427.5Hz
1719Abraham Rudhall IIPROSPERITY TO ALL OVR BENEFACTORS

A [Bell] R 1719
34 cwtE
E♭1+29 316.5Hz
D2+28 597Hz
E♭3+29 1266Hz
1719Abraham Rudhall IIIOHN CHANCELOR & THO HEISTER CHURCHWARDENS 1719 A [Bell] R 1719
44¼ cwtD
D1-27 289Hz
D2+34 599Hz
D3+20 1188.5Hz
1602Joseph CarterThis × Bell × Was × Made
× 1602 J × c ×
55 cwtC
D♭1-01 277Hz
B1+09 496.5Hz
C3+31 1066Hz
1838W & J TaylorTAYLORS BELLFOUNDERS OXFORD 1838 DEO ET ECCLESIÆ
65-2-932.00B
B♭0+10 234.5Hz
B♭1+27 473.5Hz
B♭2+12 939Hz
1611William YareTHIS BELL WAS MADE 1611
W Y


Saunce½ cwt12.50A1811James WellsJAMES WELLS
ALDBOURN FECIT 1811
St Mary the Virgin · Iffley

Iffley


St Mary the Virgin SP527035
Church Road, Iffley
Oxford OX4 4EJ


6 bells 10 cwt in A

Wednesday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing
Hear each bell strike

SMV · Iffley · Oxford was built circa 1170, due to the gift of a rich patron. It is one of the best preserved in the country, with fine carvings, and a priest’s chair and desk fashioned out of a 1600 year-old yew tree. There is a superb south-west window, designed by John Piper, that allows light to diffuse to best advantage within the church. The tower formed part of the original design, with the current timber bell-frame having been installed in 1911. The spacious ringing chamber is reached via a spiral staircase of about 40 steps. The church is generally open from 8am – 7pm. Toilet facilities are available in the vestry on the north side of the churchyard. The nearest pubs are The Isis Tavern, adjacent to Iffley Lock, or The Prince of Wales, on the road through the village which leads to the church.

Saint Mary the Virgin · Iffley · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
13¾ cwt26.38F
G1-49 381Hz
E2+27 670Hz
F♯3-31 1453.5Hz
1785Thomas JanawayTHOMAS JANAWAY FECIT J785
24 cwt27.38E
E1+15 332.5Hz
E♭2+04 624Hz
E3-13 1308Hz
1785Thomas JanawayTHOS. JANAWAY FECIT J785
34-2-2629.25D
D1+16 296.5Hz
D♭2+08 557Hz
D3-46 1143.5Hz
1869Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. / VIVOS VOCO. MORTUOS PLANGO. FULGARA FRANGO / T. A. WARBURTON, VICAR / R. REID, J. FRENCH, WARDENS. / CAST 1592. / RECAST 1869.
45½ cwt31.38C
C1+02 262Hz
B2-24 487Hz
C3+19 1058.5Hz
1592Joseph Carterprayse ye the lorde j
c 1592
57½ cwt34.50B
C1-17 259Hz
A2+17 444.5Hz
B♭3+27 947Hz
c1699Abraham Rudhall INone
610 cwt38.00A
B♭0-19 230.5Hz
A♭1-05 414Hz
A♭2+31 846Hz
1626Ellis Knight IOVR HOPE XS XN THE LORD X626
Saunce1 cwt16.00G1709Abraham Rudhall IGOD SEND VS PEACE

AR [Bell] 1709
St Mary · Kidlington

Kidlington


St Mary the Virgin SP497148
Church Street, Kidlington
Oxfordshire OX5 2AZ


8 bells 21-2-27 cwt-qr-lb in D

Tuesday Practice Correspondent

Bob Triples
Extended ringing

St Mary · Kidlington · Oxfordshire Being England’s second largest village (Cranleigh in Surrey currently claims the distinction of being the largest), Kidlington derives its name from the Old English description for an estate owned by Cydela. The Domesday Book notes it as being called Chedelintone. The Georgian houses of the village are somewhat hidden by new developments which dominate the central, southern and western sides. The original design of this primarily Early English church was of a cruciform nature with a central tower and no aisles. A series of major additions during the later Decorated period have drastically altered the layout. There are a plethora of monuments within, including memorials to two Bishops of Exeter. The imposing spire is surprisingly not apparent from the road entrances to the village, the church being tucked away on the north-east side of Kidlington and backed by large areas of open ground. Many thousands of pounds have been raised in recent years to restore and maintain the tower and spire, with the superb eight bells installed here being the heaviest in the branch.

Saint Mary · Kidlington · Oxfordshire
A ring of eight holding a weekly practice
The tenor to the left
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
16-0-8D1897Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1879. / PRESENTED BY WILLIAM BRAIN, ESQ: / IN MEMORY OF HIS GRANDPARENTS / WILLIAM AND MARY BRAIN. / A.C.R. FREEBORN, VICAR. / W. BRAIN, E. H. MARTIN, } CHURCHWARDENS. / WEBB & BENNETT, BELLHANGERS, KIDLINGTON.
26-2-18C♯1897Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1879. / PRESENTED BY WILLIAM BRAIN, ESQ: / IN MEMORY OF HIS GRANDPARENTS / WILLIAM AND MARY BRAIN. / A.C.R. FREEBORN, VICAR. / W. BRAIN, E. H. MARTIN, } CHURCHWARDENS.
37-2-12B1897Mears & StainbankRICHARD KEENE MADE ME 1661 / RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON. 1897. / A.C.R. FREEBORN , VICAR. / W. BRAIN, E. H. MARTIN, } CHURCHWARDENS.
48-2-23A1897Mears & StainbankBARTHOLOMEW * ATTON * MADE * ME * THE * TREBLELL * TO * BE * 1621 / RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON. / A.C.R. FREEBORN, VICAR. / W. BRAIN, E. H. MARTIN, } CHURCHWARDENS. / 1897.
511-2-0G1715Abraham Rudhall IWM : COSIER THO : DAWSON WM : TURRELL CH : WARDENS 1715

A [Bell] R
612-1-5F♯1897Mears & StainbankTHIS BELL WAS MADE 1610 W + Y / RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, LONDON. / A.C.R. FREEBORN, VICAR. / W. BRAIN, E. H. MARTIN, } CHURCHWARDENS. / 1897.
716-2-1E1700Richard Chandler IIIIOHN SANDERS IOHN SPRINGALL LAURENC PENN C W 1700
821-2-27D1708Abraham Rudhall ITHO : DAWSON RICH : STIMSON. LAURENCE PENN CHURCHWARDENS
A : R [Bell] 1708
Saunce1-1-01800Thomas MearsTHOMAS MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1800.
Nearest is the treble
St Nicholas · Marston

Marston


St Nicholas SP527089
Elsfield Road, Old Marston
Oxford OX3 0PR


6 bells 5-0-19 cwt-qr-lb in C

Friday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing

St Nicholas · Marston · Oxford The toponym Marston references its origins as a farmstead in marshy ground. Several brooks wend their way almost unnoticed through and around the village on their way to feeding into the River Cherwell. The low-lying nature of the village has resulted in certain areas being prone to flash-flooding down the years. During the English Civil War in 1646, Sir Thomas Fairfax accepted the surrender of Oxford by representatives of Charles I in the manor house behind the church, the house now being known as Cromwell House. Although not conclusively established, Oliver Cromwell is thought to have met with Fairfax at the house prior to the surrender, but he was not present at the time of the surrender, contrary to some sources. During the 20th century, two of the most notable members of the Oxford penicillin team, Howard Florey and Norman Heatley, lived in the village. The 12th century church was once partly surrounded by a moat. These short-draughted six were augmented from five in 1972. They are rung from a floor reached by a straight staircase of 12 steps. A toilet is available, with tea and coffee facilities in the new vestry. Visitors are welcome 09:30 - 17:30 on weekdays. Peals are attempted three times per year. Food is available from the Victoria Arms and the Red Lion. St Nicholas Church is in Elsfield Road, Old Marston, near to the A40 Marston Flyover on the Northern Bypass. Please click on the Ordnance Survey reference number (above) to see a map. Vicar Revd Tony Price, Captain Roy Jones, Vice Captain Judy Kirby, Secretary Hugh Deam.

Saint Nicholas · Marston · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
The treble
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
13-1-9A1972Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd

No inscription in this band

19 72

WHITECHAPEL
P.N. RIMMER VICAR
 V.C. CARDY / A.W. SIDEBOTTOM 
} CHURCHWARDENS


23-2-18G1823W & J TaylorNone
33-2-13F1823W & J TaylorNone
43-3-9E1823W & J TaylorNone
54-2-3D1823W & J TaylorNone
65-0-1931.00C1823W & J TaylorTHIS PEAL WAS RECAST BY W. & J. TAYLOR OXFORD OCTR 17. 1823. JOHN CANNON & WILLM LEAKE C.W.
The 3 strikes late at hand. The treble is poorly toned.
St John · Stanton

Stanton St John


St John the Baptist SP577094
Middle Road, Stanton St John
Oxfordshire OX33 1DN


5 bells cwt in G

Thursday Practice

Correspondent

The village of Stanton St John lies adjacent to the Roman road between Dorchester and Alcester. It is well known to television viewers as its shop and main street have featured in several episodes of Midsomer Murders. Close by is a large pick-your-own farm that is popular for its strawberries and asparagus. The son of John White of Stanton St John, Revd John White of Dorchester (1575-1648), went on to become a founder of the New England colony of Massachusetts. The grandparents of John Milton are buried in the churchyard here. St John has a 12th century chancel arch and a perpendicular gothic period tower. Although the bells were deemed unringable circa 1982, the ODG reclassified them as safe to ring in 2008, after the work that was carried out by Rod Bickerton.

Saint John · Stanton St John · Oxfordshire
A ring of five holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
14 cwt27.63D♯1652Ellis & Francis Knight1652
24¾ cwt29.50C♯1716Henry Bagley III-:- HENREY LODER WILLIAM GRANT CHVRCH WARDENS -:- HENREY BAGLEY MADE MEE J7J6 -:-
35½ cwt31.25B♯1656Michael DerbieMICHAEL DERBIE MADE ME 1656
47 cwt33.75A♯1652Ellis & Francis Knight1652
59¼ cwt37.75G♯1724Abraham Rudhall IIPEACE & GOOD NEIGHBOVRHOOD

A [Bell] R

1724
St Mary · Wheatley

Wheatley


St Mary SP597058
Church Road, Wheatley
Oxfordshire OX33 1LZ


6 bells 9-3-10 cwt-qr-lb in A

Friday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ringing
Hear each bell strike

St Mary · Wheatley · Oxfordshire is situated on the route of the old London to Gloucester road, with the River Thame running through the lower part of the village. This area was the site of a Roman settlement and later a Saxon cemetery. The old stone lock-up of the village is still preserved. The church is 18th century, but was subject to a rebuilding 1855-57 in C13th style at the instigation of Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, although the distinctive broach-spire faceted tower was not completed until 1868. The bells were re-hung to great effect in 1996.

Saint Mary · Wheatley · Oxfordshire
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
Mark J Walker at the newly re-hung installation in 1996
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
14-2-327.00F
F1-18 345.5Hz
F2-17 691.5Hz
F3-19 1381Hz
1996Whitechapel Bell Foundry LtdMEARS AND STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. / "PRAISE GOD IN HIS SANCTUARY" PS.150. / EDWARD ELTON, VICAR. / GEORGE ROSE, / CHARLES BUSHNELL, } CHURCHWARDENS. 1879. RECAST 1996 WHITECHAPEL
24-2-2527.00E
E♭1-14 308.5Hz
D♭2+34 565.5Hz
E♭3-20 1230Hz
1794John BriantJ. BRIANT HERTFORD. FECIT. 1794 :
35-1-1531.00D
D♭1-10 275.5Hz
C2+02 524Hz
D♭3-16 1098.5Hz
1794John BriantJOHN BRIANT HARTFORD. FECIT. 1794 :
45-1-031.00C
C1+35 267Hz
B2-03 493Hz
C3-13 1038.5Hz
1794John BriantJ : BRIANT HERTFORD : FECIT : 1794 :
56-3-2735.00B
B0-45 240.5Hz
B♭1-15 462Hz
B♭2-17 923Hz
1794John Briant: J : BRIANT HERTFORD. FECIT. 1794 : GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS :
69-3-1038.00A
A♭0-18 205.5Hz
A♭1-15 411.5Hz
A♭2-20 821Hz
1996Whitechapel Bell Foundry LtdJOHN BRIANT. OF HERTFORD. FECIT. 1793. / GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS. [Four coins] / RECAST 1996 WHITECHAPEL
Saunce0-0-209.00Olovyani-
shnikov
Made in the factory of Olovyanishnikov in Yaroslavl
The 2 strikes late at hand
The bells now down
St Peter · Wolvercote

Wolvercote


St Peter SP497099
First Turn, Wolvercote
Oxford OX2 8BW


6 bells GF 8-0-2 cwt-qr-lb in B

Thursday Practice Correspondent

Listen to them ring
Hear each bell strike

Known as Ulfgarcote (Wulfgar’s Cottage) in the Domesday Book, Wolvercote manages to retain a strong village identity, with a wealth of local organisations, a thriving Sunday Market and many fetes and festivals organised and well supported throughout the year. Wolvercote was the scene of much bloody skirmishing during the English Civil War, including a raid on the church in 1644. In the more peaceful years that followed, Wolvercote became synonymous with its paper-mill, which supplied the paper for printing books for Oxford University. Although she did not adopt the religious life, Lord Clifford’s daughter, Rosamund did spend her later years in Godstow Nunnery after falling out of favour as mistress of King Henry II. Fair Rosamund as she became known is buried within the precincts of the Nunnery, and her ghost, red rose in hand, is said to haunt the garden. The ghost of the first Duke of Marlborough is reputed to drive a coach and horses past Wolvercote early on New Year’s Day. St Peter’s Church retains its Saxon font carved out of a single block of stone and ornamented with a diamond design round the rim. During the 19th century the parish became notable as a stepping stone to the Episcopacy, with several curates here eventually going on to become bishops of significance at Salisbury, Colchester, London and Zanzibar. The main body of the originally Perpendicular period church was rebuilt in 1859. The bells are rung from the ground floor and the enthusiastic band of ringers is very much an integral part of the community.

Saint Peter · Wolvercote · Oxford
A ring of six holding a weekly practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
Note
HUM
PRIME
NOMINAL
CastFounderInscription
12-3-1923.50G
G1-04 391Hz
G2+02 785Hz
G3+02 1570.5Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
Meers and Stainbank, Founders London / A Deo - A.D Deum / Walter Dmitri Sargent, Vicar / Joseph Castle / Henry Osborn King ] Churchwardens / A.D. 1900 / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
22-3-2424.25F
F1-11 347Hz
F2-12 693.5Hz
F3+00 1397Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
William Bagley Made Mee 1707 / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
33-1-025.75E
E♭1-25 306.5Hz
E♭2-04 620.5Hz
E♭3+00 1244Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
JOHN SMITH JOHN ROWLAND CHURCH WARDENS / MATTHEW & JAMES BAGLEY MADE MEE 1747 / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
44-0-427.25D
D1-12 291.5Hz
D2-08 584.5Hz
D3-07 1169.5Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
James Rovlan Joseph Hall Churchwardens 1707 / Recast in memory of / Henry David Chainberlain / Eden Henwood / William Edward Hewlett / Henry Osborn King / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
55-1-1730.38C
C1-07 260.5Hz
C2-15 518.5Hz
C3-14 1037.5Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
Mears & Swithenbank Founders / London 1881 / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
68-0-234.50B
B♭0-11 231.5Hz
B♭1-11 463Hz
B♭2-15 924Hz
1957John Taylor
& Co
PETER / Michael John Ottaway - Vicar / Wilfrid Godwin / Henry Jack Harrison ] Church wardens / A.D. 1957 / Mears & Swithenbank Founders / London 1881 / Recast by John / Taylor and co. / Loughbrough / 1957
The 2 requires tight handling
Section 2 · Other Towers
These remaining towers do not hold a regular practice. This is either because there isn't sufficient demand for one, or because they aren't hung for full-circle ringing. Alternatively, they may have been declared unsafe to ring.
ABVM · Beckley

Beckley


The Assumption of the Blessed
Virgin Mary
SP562113
Church Street, Beckley
Oxfordshire OX3 9UT


5 bells 11-1-13 cwt-qr-lb in F

Unringable full-circle

ABVM · Beckley · Oxfordshire Some five miles north east of Oxford, the village, along with the adjoining hamlet of Stowood, was the site of a Romano-British villa and is crossed by the Roman road from Alcester to Dorchester. Set on high ground, it enjoys fine views over Otmoor and across to Oxford. The Tudor residence of Beckley Park occupies the site referred to in King Alfred’s will. It became known as the Honour of St Valery after the Norman Conquest and was given by Henry III to Richard, Earl of Cornwall. This parish church is early Norman, with a massive 14th century tower that belies the fact that there are only five bells housed within. Last rung in the late 1970's, the configuration of the bells has an unconventional pattern, but they have become unringable due to a weak frame.

ABVM · Beckley · Oxfordshire
A full-circle unringable five
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
15 cwtC♯1660Richard Keene0661
26 cwtB1707Henry Bagley III-:- WILLIAM LEDWELL SAMVWELL POWELL : C : W : HENREY BAGLEY MADE ME 1707
37 cwtA♯1664Richard Keene1664
48½ cwtG♯1705Richard Chandler IIIWILLIAM LEDWELL C W 170S
511-1-1341.00F♯1881Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1881.
Saunce13.50None
Unringable due to a weak frame
St Clement · St Clements

St Clements


St Clement SP527063
Marston Road
Oxford OX4 1BG


Originally a chime of two

St Clement · St Clements · Oxford This area of Oxford is sited to the east of the centre and is considered to be the direct route out of the city to London. Consequently, a decision eventually had to be taken to widen the road, a move which signalled the demolition of Harpsichord Row in 1929, although the similar terrace of London Place still survives. The Morrell family, famous for their brewing, long owned South Park until selling 50 acres to the Oxford Preservation Trust in 1959. Although the church now stands at the beginning of the Marston Road, in the wooded shadow of Headington Hill, it was originally situated just to the east of Magdalen Bridge, at what is now called The Plain. It was rebuilt in 1828 under the supervision of D Robertson. The style of the main body of the church, and the square west tower, are what is known as Georgian Norman. The windows are from the former church of St Martin at Carfax. This was originally a chime of three bells, but the two largest have been removed from the tower. They are now displayed within the church. One probably dates from the 13th century, making it the oldest in Oxford.

Saint Clement · St Clements · Oxford
A former chime of three
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
120.50C13thNone
221.501636Woodstock bell foundryRICHARD SHVRLY
ROBERT GRIFFIN C W 1636
Saunce1731Edward Hemins+ W: HACKINS. E: HARRIS.
CHURCH = WARDENS

E: HEMINS. BISSITER.
FECIT. J73J.
The saunce remains in the tower, with the 1 and 2, now removed, on display within the church itself. On the evidence of its shape, the 1 is believed to have been cast in the latter part of the 13th century (1250-1299), thus making it the oldest bell within the City of Oxford. The Guinness Book of Records has stated: "The oldest tower bell in Great Britain is one of 50kg (1cwt) at St Botolph, Hardham, Sussex, still in use and date[s from about] AD 1100". The oldest inscribed bell is the Gargate bell, on display at Caversfield church in Oxfordshire, from about 1200-1210. The oldest dated bell in England is one hanging in Lisset church near Bridlington, East Yorkshire bearing the date MCCLIIII (1254).
All Saints · Cuddesdon

Cuddesdon


All Saints SP601031
Church Road, Cuddesdon
Oxfordshire OX44 9HD


6 bells 14-2-16 cwt-qr-lb in F

Unringable full-circle

All Saints · Cuddesdon · Oxfordshire This handsome Cruciform church was built circa 1180 at the behest of Abingdon Abbey, and enjoys a superb view over rolling countryside out towards Buckinghamshire. The West entrance of the church is particularly impressive, and ideal for wedding photographs, as is the gateway to the churchyard. The church is one of the most aesthetically pleasing in the branch, and the bells had an excellent tone, although the 2 was somewhat odd-struck. Unfortunately there is currently no band in the village and the frame is in need of restoration. Only a short step away from the church is the Theological College, and in less than a minute’s walk is the singular Bat & Ball public house, which is crammed with an eclectic array of cricketing memorabilia.

All Saints · Cuddesdon · Oxfordshire
A full-circle unringable six
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
15½ cwt31.63D1795John BriantTHE GIFT OF DR. E. SMALLWELL BPT OF OXFORD & Co. IOHN BRIANT HERTFORD FECIT AN : DOM : 1795.
26¼ cwt31.50C1617Henry Knight I+ HENRX KNXGHT MAdE MEE X6X7
37 cwt33.88B♭1617Henry Knight I+ HENRX KNXGHT MAdE THXS BELL X6X7
48 cwt35.25A1617Henry Knight I+ HENRX KNXGHT MAdE MEE
ANO X6X7
59-3-1939.00G1863G MearsG. MEARS & CO. FOUNDERS LONDON 1863
614-2-1643.88F1863G MearsG. MEARS & CO. FOUNDERS LONDON 1863
Saunce½ cwt13.00E1748Thomas Lester1748
Unringable pending frame repairs
St Ebbe · City Centre

City Centre


St Ebbe SP512060
Pennyfarthing Place
Oxford OX1 1QF


8 bells 4-3-19 cwt-qr-lb in B

A full-circle ring with no practice

St Ebbe This area of the city and its church are named after Ebba, daughter of Aethelfrith, King of Northumbria. Her brothers, Oswald and Oswy, both went on to rule the county. After the death of her father, in a battle during 617, she became a nun and founded a religious house of which she was Abbess. Records show St Ebbe’s to be the earliest church in the city to be mentioned in print, with it being given to Eynsham Abbey in 1141. It has been rebuilt and enlarged on a number of occasions, most extensively in 1813, with just the tower and a south-west corner remaining exempt. William Fisher began the work, but later in C19th, the grandiloquent GE Street gave it his early Gothic revival treatment. The church has been dwarfed and partly surrounded by the Westgate shopping centre since the early 1970s. This development signalled the end for one of Oxford’s most loved department stores, F Cape & Co, which had long enticed shoppers into the area. The bells are an unusually light ring of eight that require great accuracy in handling. There is limited ringing due to their proximity to the shops and offices. Although this is a City Branch tower, the bells are rung by the Oxford University Society, on a Sunday at 11am during term time.

Saint Ebbe · City Centre · Oxford
A ring of eight with no practice
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
12-2-2022.00B♭1925Mears & StainbankIN MEMORIAM J. W. WASHBROOK, 1925.
22-3-1022.00A1925Mears & StainbankIN MEMORIAM J. W. WASHBROOK, 1925.
33-1-1224.13G1789John BriantJ. BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1789
43-2-224.50F1789John BriantJ. BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1789
53-2-2425.50E♭1790John BriantJ. BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1790
64-0-1227.00D1790John BriantJ. BRIANT. / HARTFORD FECIT / UNFEIGNED PRAISE TO HEAVENS ALMIGHTY KING, / FOR HEALTH RESTORED TO GEORGE THE THIRD WE SING. / HÆC SEXTA ACCESSIT A.D. 1790.
73-3-2328.75C1789John BriantJ. BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1789
84-3-1931.00B♭1789John BriantTHIS PEAL WAS RAISD BY VOLONTARY SUBSCRIPTION. H. RICHARDS, RECTOR. E. GOODYER, J. W. CLUFF, CHURCHWARDENS. J. BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1789.
St Nicolas · Forest Hill

Forest Hill


St Nicolas SP582075
Main Street, Forest Hill
Oxfordshire OX33 1EB


A chime of two

St Nicolas The parish of Forest Hill with Shotover was formed in 1883 and comes under the Wheatley Benefice which in turn is in the Aston & Cuddesdon Deanery. The church here was consecrated in 1273 by Reginald, Bishop of Cloyne acting on behalf of the Lincoln Diocese when a remodelling took place. The estate and chapel formed part of a grant by Robert D’Oiley to the church of St George at Oxford Castle, and later to Osney Abbey. The patronage has now long been held by Lincoln College, Oxford. The church consists of a chancel and nave under a single roof, with the western end dominated by a large Early English period gabled double bell-cote which houses two bells. The north aisle of the church saw a fine full pedal-board organ chamber added in 1852 during several years of general restoration to the interior of the building.

Saint Nicolas · Forest Hill · Oxfordshire
A chime of two
Photo by Paul Lucas June 2007
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
1 20½ 1652Ellis & Henry Knight 
2 23¼ 1652Ellis & Henry Knight 
Saunce 10 1852 TAYLOR OXFORD 1852
The bells were rehung by Mr Richard White in 1933
St Bartholomew · Holton

Holton


St Bartholomew SP605064
Holton, Oxfordshire OX33 1PR

A chime of three 8 cwt

St Bartholomew · Holton · Oxfordshire This small village is now almost adjacent to Wheatley and derives its name from the Old English for a farmstead in a nook of land, being described as Healhtun as far back as 956 AD. With the exception of a doorway and a couple of arches, very little remains of the original transitional period church of circa 1200. The chancel dates from the early C14th, when there was a major restoration carried out by William Brome. The west tower is also known to date from around the same time, with the bells having been re-hung for chiming only. St Bartholomew has three bells, two of which are medieval with the other being C17th. The tenor weighs about 8 cwt.

St Bartholomew · Holton · Oxfordshire
A chime of three
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
15 cwtCRichard KeeneRICHARD WISE
WILLIAM WILLINS
C W 1662
26¼ cwtBc1450John SturdySancta Anna
Ora Pro Nobis

J [Coin] S
38 cwt36Ac1590probably
William Watts

c u S i i

S R
Tuned to a minor scale. The given strike notes are approximate. In 1948, Sharpe described this as a "ring of 3 bells". They were later rehung for chiming.
St Barnabas · Jericho

Jericho


St Barnabas SP505069
Cardigan Street, Jericho
Oxford OX2 6BH


10 tubular bells plus one
other bell hung for ringing

Struck by the clock

The church of St Barnabas is situated at the heart of Jericho on Cardigan Street. It was the concept of Thomas Combe, then superintendent of Clarendon Press, who was a renowned Anglo-Catholic and avowed patron of the early Pre-Raphaelites. Arthur Blomfield was commissioned in 1869 to design this Italian Romanesque building. It is considered to be nearest to the Sicilian style, with a sumptuous and unabashed interior. The Campanile was built in 1872 and re-roofed in 1893. The church cost £6,500 and the Campanile £800 to build. This area of Oxford grew up during the 19th century alongside the canal. It experienced a rapid influx of inhabitants due to several major employers, such as the Oxford University Press and Lucy’s Iron & Brass Foundry, setting up here.

Saint Barnabas · Jericho · Oxford
A chime of ten plus a ring of one
Weight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
3-0-25241869John Taylor
& Co
J. TAYLOR & CO. FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1869.
The 10 tubes hang from a wooden frame in the centre of the tower and are struck by hammers, operated by an Ellacombe chiming manual, in the vestry. Tuned to a diatonic scale in the key of A, each is stamped with its musical note and a number depicting its position within the scale. Each also bears the inscription G. & J. / HARRINGTON'S PATENT TUBULAR BELLS / TRADE-MARK. The bell founder is Gillet & Johnson of Croydon. The treble measures 60″ long by 3¾″ diameter. The tenor is 103″ by 4″. They were first hung in 1890.
St Peter · Marsh Baldon

Marsh Baldon


St Peter SU562991
Baldon Lane, The Baldons
Oxfordshire OX44 9LS


5 bells GF cwt in A

Originally affiliated with the Oxford
City Branch, this tower moved to
the South Oxon Branch in 2012.

St Peter · Marsh Baldon · Oxfordshire is located on the right, just inside the western gated entrance to the village. The C14th tower has been transformed into an octagonal shape, with squinches at its upper bell-stage, and is unlike any other tower in the branch. The Early Decorated church was totally rebuilt in 1890, and the wooden porch has a sundial over the doorway. The bells are rung from the ground floor and require sensible handling. After an inspection by White's of Appleton, a quarter peal was rung on the 27th June 2009 to celebrate Marsh Baldon's Lunch on the Green. The village is replete with half-timbered and thatched cottages, and the extremely capacious village green is used for cricket matches in summer. The present name of the village derives from the De Le Meres family, who owned much land here in the 13th century. The picturesque and long established Seven Stars Inn is widely regarded and possesses a large log fire and friendly ambience.

Saint Peter · Marsh Baldon · Oxfordshire
A ring of five
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
13-1-2226.00E1954Mears & StainbankNot Known
24-0-22D1902Mears & StainbankMEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.
RENOVATUM MDCCCCII.
GAUDEMUS GAUDENTIBUS,
DOLEMUS DOLENTIBUS.
34¾ cwtC♯c1628Ellis Knight IPRAYES THE LORD
45¾ cwtBc1530John White

57½ cwt35.00A1628Ellis Knight IX · AS · TENAR · HVM · ALL · ROVND X628
SaunceF♯c1760Robert Wells IROBT. WELLS ∴ ALBOURN
∴ ∴ ∴ ∴ ∴ ∴
St Michael · City Centre

City Centre


St Michael SP513064
Cornmarket Street
Oxford OX1 3EY


6 bells 12 cwt in F

Hung dead

Situated on the corner of Ship Street and Cornmarket, the City Church of St Michael-at-the-Northgate is not only Oxford city centre’s oldest building, with its late Anglo-Saxon tower, but also lends its name to the road opposite (St Michael’s Street). The main body of the church dates primarily to C13th, although the north aisle was totally rebuilt by John Plowman in 1833, with a general restoration overseen by the prolific GE Street in 1853/4. The damage done to the building following a severe fire in 1953 is not really visible today. This tiny enclave of the city has a somewhat Bohemian atmosphere with street buskers, a coffee stall and a silk garments seller. The magnificent church tower is much photographed and scaled by tourists, the roof allowing a splendid view of the city. The Protestant martyrs Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley were imprisoned here in a cell known as the Bocardo. The very extensive gift shop is open nearly every day of the year, and includes a wide selection of Fairtrade goods. The church is known for its practical help for charities, having long permitted its grounds to be used for street collections on certain days of the year. If they were rung full circle, the six bells would be too heavy for the tower to support, so they are hung dead for chiming only.

Saint Michael · Northgate · Oxford City
A chime of six
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
14½ cwt1708Abraham Rudhall IIOHN HERRING IOHN ROYSTON CHVRCH WARDENS
1708 AR [Bell]
24¾ cwt1755Abel RudhallFEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING
A [Bell] R 1755
35¼ cwt1668Richard Keene1668
47 cwt1668Richard Keene1668
59 cwt1668Richard KeeneRICHARD KEENE CAST THIS RING 1668
612 cwt42F♯1668Richard KeeneSAMPSON RAWLINS ROBERT KEATE C W 1668
Saunce17.251784Robert PatrickROBT. PATRICK OF LONDON FOUNDER 1784
The bells were formerly hung for ringing. The frame was removed in 1898 and the bells were then hung "dead" for chiming by Mr F White. The saunce remains hung for chiming.
St Andrew · Sandford

Sandford


St Andrew SP534018
Church Road, Sandford on Thames
Oxfordshire OX4 4YR


3 bells cwt

A chime

St Andrew · Sandford-on-Thames · Oxfordshire A settlement known as Sandforda, “a sandy ford”, existed here as far back as 1050. An early Norman church was built at the end of that century. Parts of the east and south walls of the chancel and nave still survive as does a small chancel window. Considerable alterations were made during Victorian times with the present Norman-style tower, dating to 1840, having replaced the previous wooden structure. The elegant porch was built at the behest of Eliza Isham in 1652, to whom an inscription is detailed: “Thanks to thy charitie religious dame, which found me old and made me new againe.” The church is situated close to the river, on the route of an ancient footpath leading to Toot Baldon. There is known to have been a preceptor of the Knights Templar here during the 13th century.

Saint Andrew · Sandford · Oxfordshire
A chime of three
BellWeight
CWT-QR-LB
Diameter
INCHES
NoteCastFounderInscription
12½ cwt1592prayse ye the lorde + J + c 1592
23¼ cwtB Q M E L Y Q b o f
33¾ cwt261606THIS BELL WAS MADE 1606 j + c
SaunceNone
Sharpe was unable to examine the bells himself. The treble may be cracked.
All Saints · Wytham

Wytham


All Saints SP475086
Abbey Entrance, Wytham
Oxfordshire OX2 8QA


A chime of 10 bells

All Saints · Wytham · Oxfordshire Although barely a mile west of Oxford, the village was actually in Berkshire until the boundary changes of the early 1970s. Documented as Wihtham in 957 AD, it appositely takes its name from the Old English for a homestead in a river bend. The land in this area was gifted to Abingdon Abbey by King Edgar, with Wytham Abbey long being the seat of the Earls of Abingdon and dating from the early C16th. The late C14th church at Wytham was rebuilt in 1811/12, by the Bertie family, using materials from their former manor house of Cumnor Place. For example, the entrance to the churchyard is via a small doorway taken from the manor. Some fine stained glass also remains from that earlier period. The ten bells, made by Gillett & Johnston, were installed in 1951 and are chimed by means of a baton keyboard. This was the last work done by Gillett & Johnston before they stopped working with bells. Wytham has long been known for its strawberry teas and the village shop still opens its garden for afternoon teas. The woods surrounding Wytham are now permanently used for nature studies and research purposes.

All Saints · Wytham · Oxfordshire
A chime of ten
The ten bells, made by Gillett & Johnston of Croydon, were installed in 1951 and are chimed by means of a baton keyboard. This was the last work done by Gillett & Johnston before they stopped working with bells.
1 long cwt [hundredweight] = 4 qr [quarter] = 112 lb [pound] = 8 stone = 50.80 kg
1 long ton [imperial] = 20 cwt = 1016 kg    1 tonne [metric] = 1000 kg = 19.68 cwt